What is Architectural Barrier Consulting?
Gilles Malkine, RCAL‘s Architectural Modification Consultant, provides a variety of services to individuals and businesses throughout Ulster county. They are outlined below.
Changing Needs: Adapting Your Home to Fit You
RCAL’s Home Modification Service can assist you on how to make your home safe and accessible. It includes:
- Professional on-site surveys of your home.
- Detailed information on cost effective modifications.
- Extensive product and vendor listings.
- Referrals to funding resources if available.
ACCESSIBILITY IS A GOOD BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY
The Architectural Modification Consultant (AMC) can provide timely, accurate and concrete technical assistance to businesses in complying with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Our services will enable you to understand and apply each of the requirements of the ADA.
Specific services include: explaining the law, reviewing buildings, services and building plans. We can help you:
- save time and minimize accommodation costs.
- avoid litigation.
- attract new customers.
- interpret the Americans with Disabilities Act to individual situations.
- survey existing facilities, identify barriers and recommend cost effective solutions.
- analyze building plans for compliance with local, state and federal codes.
- review customer services for accessibility.
- create educational disability awareness programs for supervisory staff.
- review personnel practices for compliance with the ADA.
- develop marketing strategies to attract disabled customers
(See above) Have you seen any accessible parking spaces that look like this? An accessible aisle that is only 4 feet wide is not enough space for someone with a wheelchair to exit a vehicle. An 8 foot aisle makes all of the difference in terms of accessibility (see below). More information and details are available on this factsheet. This is one of the many issues that the Architectural Modification Consultant addresses.
For more information or if you have questions, please feel free to contact Gilles Malkine at 845-331-0541, x 27.